Tuesday, February 5, 2008

New thoughts for vacation...


With snow and ice all around my mind is thinking of warm places and vacation. I was reading one of my favorite blogs, when I heard for the first time about Faceless International (facelessinterantional.com). It is an organization that helps raise awareness on social issues throughout the global community. They have recently opened a trip to Guatemala to learn more about and experience some of the issues surrounding Fair Trade. They have taken trips to India focusing on Human Trafficking. From the itineraries and pictures that I have seen Faceless looks like they are great at learning about the reality of the focus issue and doing something tangible in the places that they go. Just one different way that you could spend vacation time.


A business that I purchase from TOMS shoes (tomsshoes.com) also opens their "shoe drops" for the general public to apply to attend. Last November they went to Africa and placed 50,000 pairs of shoes on kids feet. Pretty Cool! Someday I would love to be part of such a tangible act as fitting a child on the other side of the world with a pair of shoes.

These are just two examples of hundreds of organizations and ways to do something a little more purposed with your vacation time in the years to come. Well, back to work and snow.
~the dreaming "vacationer"

2 comments:

Clayton said...

Very cool. Either of those organizations sounds like a great trip. I would love to do something like that as well. I hope you get to go someday that would be awesome.

joshandkarlee said...

I love you Heather! I am quite excited about our now weekly phone dates...it's about time we committed to them, eh?!